Re: Server crashing

On Tuesday 19 Jul 2005 21:54, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > This is why I asked if you could "afford to" do the test.
> >
> > I was lucky because I had a spare machine and spare RAM: I swapped
> > the RAM and
> > put the "dodgy" RAM into the spare machine. I then used a Knoppix
> > boot CD and
> > booted into a memtest on the spare machine.
> >
> > This meant that while the test was happening, I was not otherwise
> > using the
> > machine.
> >
> > Sorry.
>
> Yeh, I think I can do that. But if I just leave it testing 50m would
> it show a problem if one exists? Or do I need to run memtest at full
> 120m? And finally am I issuing the command right? Or is there some
> other parameter(s) I should use?
>

> Curtis
>
> PS. The conversation about types of RAM is not bothering me so if
> it's constructive for others by all means continue.

When I ran the test, I just did it from the grub menu item "memtest86" from
the livecd I used at the time.

As a result, I don't know about the options. However, I have now found a
couple of posts that state that they could only reproduce the problem while
using a running system.

I find it easier just to use a livecd with the "boot mode" type method.
Kanotix and Feather have these, but I use SysRescCD:
http://www.sysresccd.org/

Hope this helps.

PS: I apologise about the request to move the ECC conversation off the thread.