Re: a kernel compilation question

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 the mental interface of
Doofus told:

[...]
> Is there any reason not to combine the two methods, ie download the latest 2.4
> from kernel.org (which I want), but use "make-kpkg clean" and "make-kpkg
> kernel_image" (which I like)?
The way I do it:

As root:
$EDITOR /etc/kernel-pkg.conf
maintainer := Your Name
email := Mailadress@Your.domain
priority := Low
debian := 1yourfantasy0

/your/kernel/archiv must be rw by your user

cd /your/kernel/archiv
download the wanted kernel from www.kernel.org
tar -xjf kernel-version.tar.bz
cd linux-version
make-kpkg debian
dch -i
Type your changes to the changelog like:
"New vanilla upstream"
cp /boot/config-whatever .config
make menuconfig to custom your kernel
make-kpkg build
fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image

If you you want to compile some modules in extra (mol, nvidia,
.......)

fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image modules_image

The special terms for the package name will be taken from
/etc/kernel-pkg.conf.

Thats it.
Elimar

--