Re: default info browser

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 14:42 -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 12:39 -0500, Sebastian Luque wrote:
> > Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Even if I already had it running however, clicking is much too slow for
> > > me. M-x info, m, <pagename> works, but it's too many steps. Not to
> > > mention that I have to switch to the window first. What I would LIKE to
> > > be able to do is "info pagename" from the command line and have it open
> > > it up in emacs' info browser.
> >
> > If that's the case, why do you want to start Emacs just to read 'info'?
> > What's wrong with your shell's 'info'?
>
> I don't like the default info browser. The navigation bar on top scrolls
> off the screen, and I'm limited to my console font and 24 rows of text.
> (And no text highlighting, etc.) I have my emacs set up with a very good
> font and since it's in X I can fit a good 40-80 lines on a screen at a
> time depending on window size. (I know I can resize my terminal window
> beyond 24 lines of course, but I prefer to keep my terminal windows at
> 24x80 since I'm so used to standard text consoles.)

(NOTE: Off-list reply from Sebastian to my accidental off-list post,
being forwarded on his behalf for the sake of the archives.)

So why don't you use Emacs' shell mode? With M-x shell (or eshell or term,
whichever you prefer) you have your command line, and with C-h i you have
your info. But if you insist in starting Emacs from another console,
perhaps writing your own function in your shell startup file (e.g.
~/.bashrc) that uses something like 'emacs -nw -f info' taking an argument
for the lisp 'info' function (read 'man emacs' and 'C-h f info' inside
Emacs) is the way to go.