Re: Upgrading Sarge from "testing"

On (18/07/05 19:38), Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Monday, 18.07.2005 at 18:28 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
>
> > On (18/07/05 09:43), Robert Kopp wrote:
> > > In February I installed Sarge, a release from Dec.
> > > 2004, which was then the "testing" release. Now the
> > > most current release of Sarge is stable. By changing
> > > "testing" to "stable" in sources.list, I can install
> > > individual packages that aren't already there, but
> > > would like to know if it's possible to to upgrade the
> > > entire installation to what Sarge is now, as a stable
> > > release (for example, with KDE 3.3). Many other Debian
> > > users must have already done this, if it is possible.
> >
> > Sarge to testing is a 'downgrade' and under normal circumstances may
> > well break your installation.
>
> I don't think that's right, nor what he's asking.  He's talking about an
> 'old' testing installation (when Sarge was testing) upgrading to a new
> Sarge (stable).  In other words, "Old Sarge" to "New Sarge".
>
> I would have thought that you should simply be able to
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> etc.
>
> and get your whole installation updated.
>
> Changing 'testing' to 'stable' in your sources.list is the correct way
> to achieve what you're describing and is *not* a downgrade, unless you
> installed new packages following the release of Sarge and while you
> still had 'testing' in your sources.list (assuming you'd also done an
> 'apt-get update' of course).

I made the possibly erroneous assumption that he'd been updating the
system since sarge went stable.  If not, then what you say is correct
although I wouldn't have thought a dist-upgrade necessary.

I run sid on my workstation and update daily unless things are severely
broken.  I just assumed everyone else running testing or unstable do the
same .... although with less pathelogical frequency ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...