Re: Can you launch URL from email application

On 18 Jul 2005 at 21:21, David Faure wrote:

> On Monday 18 July 2005 21:17, you wrote:

> > > This ERROR line is harmless, just a leftover in the code.
> > > What happens when you type a URL in that konqueror window?
> > >

> > Dear David:
> >
> > You are right! When I typed www.nytimes.com in Konqueror (from
> > the console), it launched the site instantly just like all the other
> > browsers.
> >
> > So, who is the culprit? Why won't Konqueror launch properly from
> > the GUI?
>
> No idea, but something's seriously broken on your setup if konqueror as launched
> from a konsole, and konqueror as launched from kmail, behave differently.
> Either you're mixing kdelibs/kdebase/kdepim versions, or you have multiple
> versions installed (and the environment makes a difference as to which one is
> being picked), or something. I don't know, and I can't find out from here.

Dear David:

Let me just point out that konqueror does not launch properly
from KDE, Start, Internet, i.e. as a standalone browser as well as
not launching from Kmail when launching a URL.

The only thing I can say is that I upgraded my original Sarge to
Etch by changing the sources in sources.list, first from "stable" to
"sarge", then a few days later, from "sarge" to "etch" (every
"sarge" was changed to "etch"), then apt-get update. I also
upgraded the system apt-get upgrade, but always from the testing
"etch" distro, NEVER from "unstable".

So, how do I go about resolving this issue?

Is there something I could uninstall, then reinstall? Perhaps even
kde? I am willing to do it if it will work. I'd certainly hate to have to
reinstall the entire system.

One final note: Prior to switching to Debian 3.1 about two weeks
ago, I ran Scientific Linux, a derivative of RHEL. I recall very
clearly that I had the same problem of launching a URL from
Kmail (spinning and shaking up and down in the taskbar). I recall
this vividly because I discussed this with a member of the fedora-
list, who suggested that I switch from Kmail to Thunderbird, which
I, in fact, did. So, my hunch, as an ordinary user, based on my
experience, is that this has something to do with Konqueror. This
couldn't be a coincidence. And, though I know little about the
inner workings of Kmail, I'd bet that the error message generated
in the console is a clue to what's going on. None of the other
browsers or Kmail itself generated any error messages
whatsoever when run from the console.

Hope you can help me troubleshoot this.

Thank you for your efforts.

Benjamin