Re: Upgrading Sarge from "testing"

On 7/18/05, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> On (18/07/05 09:43), Robert Kopp wrote:
> > In February I installed Sarge, a release from Dec.
> > 2004, which was then the "testing" release. Now the
> > most current release of Sarge is stable. By changing
> > "testing" to "stable" in sources.list, I can install
> > individual packages that aren't already there, but
> > would like to know if it's possible to to upgrade the
> > entire installation to what Sarge is now, as a stable
> > release (for example, with KDE 3.3). Many other Debian
> > users must have already done this, if it is possible.
> >
> Sarge to testing is a 'downgrade' and under normal circumstances may
> well break your installation.  However, it depends on how much new stuff
> has arrived in etch, the current testing distribution.
>
> Others may be able to give you a handle on that.
>
> Downgrading is not recommended.
>
> Regards
>
> Clive
>
> --
> www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
> ...strategies for business

I have a quick "how I did it" here - 2nd post down.

http://michaelshadle.com/

Moved from sid -> sarge and etch -> sarge. Both sid and sarge use the
same glibc version (I think etch is now ahead of them though) and that
seemed to be the main thing that would become a pain to try to
"downgrade" that.

(I consider it an "upgrade" as well to move from a "testing" platform
to a "stable" one, however, that's not the case with Debian,
technically :))