Re: set language in bash

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:40:15AM +0200, Vegard|drageV wrote:
> On 7/17/05, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > First let's get some terminology. The 'bash language' is
> > > better known as the 'locale', which combines all of the
> > > various language settings from a different geographic area:
> > > the language, character encoding, etc. To change your
> > > locale, run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales'.
> > >
> > > However, you should be able to email us the contents of any
> > > apt-get error message, just by pasting it into your email
> > > client. That doesn't work for you?
> > >
> > > If you're using vim, you could also output the error message
> > > directly into the editor within command mode like so:
> > >
> > > :r !apt-get [whatever you told apt-get to do]
> > >

> > I'm an English only person, so I have no experience with the
> > extent of the localization of various packages in Debian, but
> > is it possible that the error message that is troubling OP
> > is coming out in Norwegian? If it is, the level of understanding
> > of that message on this list will be somewhat limited.
> >
> > --
> > Paul E Condon
> > pecondon@mesanetworks.net
> >

> > --
> >

>  Sorry for not being clear of what is the problem... The errormessage
> itself behaves correclty, but it is written in norwegian wich is not
> understood by most debian-user readersm therefor I needed to get the
> message in english to post it here.
>
> The hints I got worked, thanks for the help,

Hi V,
IIUC, you can prefix one of the locale variables to a command to change
them.
this is my 'locale' info:
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

So IIUC, doing this should make 'spanish' mesages:
kevin@debian:~/DOCUMENTS/IMAGES/DIA$ LC_MESSAGES="es_ES" ls ddd
ls: ddd: No existe el fichero o el directorio

So IIUC, doing this should make 'spanish' mesages:
kevin@debian:~/DOCUMENTS/IMAGES/DIA$ LC_MESSAGES="es_US" ls ddd
ls: ddd: No such file or directory

cheers,
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!