Re: set language in bash

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 08:29:46PM +0200, Vegard|drageV wrote:
> I'm trying to install a program using apt-get, and I'm getting an
> errormessage wich I do not understand. At the moment the bash language
> is set to norwegian, and I wish to temporarily to set the language to
> english so I can post the errormessage here on the list. How do I do
> this?

First let's get some terminology. The 'bash language' is
better known as the 'locale', which combines all of the
various language settings from a different geographic area:
the language, character encoding, etc. To change your
locale, run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

However, you should be able to email us the contents of any
apt-get error message, just by pasting it into your email
client. That doesn't work for you?

If you're using vim, you could also output the error message
directly into the editor within command mode like so:

:r !apt-get [whatever you told apt-get to do]

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org