SD card only mounts after fdisk?

I have a card reader built into my new PC that detects SD cards as
/dev/sda.  Normally my fstab entry lets me mount them as a normal user.
That's:

/dev/sda1	/media/sd	vfat	rw,user		0	0

Sometimes (like just now), though, instead mount reports:

mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

The interesting thing is, if as root I "fdisk /dev/sda" and the hit "p",
and "q", mounting works again.

Is this a bug in mount?  In the SCSI subsystem?  I'm ignorant here, it's
quite possible it's some subtle mistake I'm making.

Any suggestions appreciated.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.