The art of turboing (was: Re: OT: Windoze spyware?)

on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:47:17AM -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 02:32 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:34:53PM -0400, Marty (martyb@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, for a few months there (roughly March - May) it was inordinately
> > popular among 419 spammers, with a handful of go.com MXs becoming my
> > second leading spam source (following KORnet).  I managed to bring this
> > to Disney's attention, the situation's improved markedly.
>
> How the heck did you get a hold of them?

See:

    http://www.leaders.net/for/Rick/art-of-turboing/

Googled on CIO/CTO, tested likely name combinations at their MX, and
emailed _both_, thereby invoking any possible internal political issues
between the two positions.  Copied a number of major news organizations,
and pointing to my existing cites with The New York Times, Wired, and
The Register.

Took another week or so, but they fixed it.

I've found that this method works remarkably well for getting issues
addressed.

My own ISP's no-op support has resulted in my directing issues directly
to its CTO as well, though I do give tier-one an opportunity to address
the issue, request escalation, and notify them that I will escalate
myself (with a full copy of all correspondence) if they don't.

Got my GSM Cingular phone unlocked (had been told it was roamable,
bought the Ericson World Phone specifically for that) when travelling in
Australia a few years ago with a similar trick.  Emailed
the CEO directly.  Phone call 5am the next morning (Sydney time).

Peace.

    IANAL, but from what I've read on slashdot...
    - File under "famous last words"