Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:41:19 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net> [2005 Jul 17 10:02 -0500]:
>
>> There are two main Linux distros: Red Hat and Debian. Each have many
>> derivates. Xandros is one of at least 25 distros based on Debian.
>
> That statement might get our Slackware friends in an uproar.  ;-)
>
> Not so long ago Slackware was the main Linux distro and *seems* to have
> slipped to third place, but then it's difficult to tell.  There is a
> certain elegant simplicity to a Slackware system.  I still have a soft
> spot in my heart for Slackware, but I use Debian daily.
>
> - Nate>>

Also, lets not forget the french...  Mandrake is a fine linux.  I used it
for several years.  I never joined Mandrake Club to have access to all
those OTHER wonderful linux apps...  if I needed them I would get the code
from developers and compile..  Bout 98% of the time I could get them to
work.  Not bad considering I'm not a C/C++ programmer...  Anyway, decided
in Jan2005 to go with debian just for the apps.  I got tired of having to
track down compile problems...  Debian has issues too but so far I've been
able to live with them..

mr mike..