dselect install of deb package -- Where is it?

Dear friends:

[Using Debian 3.1 Etch]

I am bit confused. I read up on dselect and dpkg online and decided to install
a program called kradio with dselect. I downloaded the .deb available on the
author's site. In fact, I downloaded an earlier and a later version:

kradio_0.3.0-snapshot-2004-02-28_i386.deb
kradio_1.0beta1_kde34_i386.deb

I decided to play it safe by installing the earlier one. dselect downloaded
over 200 packages, mostly updated to make this possible. No problems. No
error messages, everything fine in Synaptic.

I now proceeded to install the deb. First, the earlier one, then the later one
(please remember that I am using the latest files from Etch).

But apparently, kradio never installed. I am perplexed by what the data below
mean:

localhost:/home/sher/DOWNLOADS# dselect install kradio_1.0beta1_kde34_i386.deb
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Do you want to erase any previously downloaded .deb files? [Y/n] y
Press enter to continue.

dselect: unknown action string `kradio_1.0beta1_kde34_i386.deb'

Type dselect --help for help.
localhost:/home/sher/DOWNLOADS# dselect remove kradio
running dpkg --pending --remove ...
dselect: unknown action string `kradio'

Type dselect --help for help.
localhost:/home/sher/DOWNLOADS#

Would appreciate your help and clarification and guidance on how to do this
right.

Thank you.

Benjamin