Enabling DRI on Matrox doesn't seem to work

I am running into some problems enabling dri so far in Debian sarge. I
have an older Matrox Millenium G450 (no dualhead) and I've noticed that
dri is disabled. Looking into the problem in the XFree86 log file, I
notice that it can't open any dri devices underneath /dev/dri:

(snip)

(OprU) (WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range
(0xe2000000,0x1000000) (II) MGA(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is
0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000 (--) MGA(0): 16 DWORD fifo
(==) MGA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(II) MGA(0): [drm] bpp: 32 depth: 24
(II) MGA(0): [drm] Sarea 2200+664: 2864
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed

Because of the open failures, DRI is disabled.

In my (old & broken) Mandrake installation, I noted there were card
[0-3] devices underneath /dev/dri. So I took note of the device names
and node information, and created the necessary nodes underneath the
dri directory. I then restarted X, only to find out the devices I just
created were *missing*!

Now what?

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.