FIXED: nvidia binary driver locks up computer

I poked around on Andrew Schulman's site
[http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/troubleshooting.html.]
for a while, then settled in and spent an hour reading the readme file.
In Appendix C, there is a listing of installed components, including
files. I started poking around in those directories and noticed:
$>ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia*
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 781464 Apr  7 05:47 nvidia_drv.o
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 791881 Jun 16 19:13 nvidia_drv.so

The .so file sticks out as an oddball. All of the other files in that
directory are *.o and of the same date, Apr 7. Two different files with
the same base name also seemed wrong.

I moved nvidia_drv.so out of that directory and things have been stable
for 24 hours now.

Now I just want to get RandR working...

--- Andrew Schulman <andrex@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:

> > I have an nforce2 system, and I'm using the onboard AGP graphics. I
> am
> > running sid, 2.6.11-1-k7, nvidia binary drivers 7174. (The nv
> driver
> > works, but it's much slower than the binary driver, I can't use my
> TV
> > tuner card because it strains my system too much without the nvidia
> > closed-source binary drivers and I'd like to be able to use RandR.)
> >
> > I've had this problem with Kde 3.3 as well as kde 3.4.1.
> > I've had this problem with 2.6.10-?-k7.
> > I've had this problem with xfree86 and now I find that it persists
> into
> > xorg.
> >
> > The machine boots fine and  I see the nvidia logo and kdm comes up.
> > type my name and password and the machine locks up during the phase
> > where it sets up interprocess communication. The lock up requires
> the
> > application of the reset button.
> >
> > If I disable the KDE start up screen, I can get logged in OK. If I
> run
> > glxgears, I see the good fps numbers due to the acceleration. If I
> shut
> > down glxgears, the machine locks up again.
> >
> > In a nutshell, my problem is that whenever X tries to do something
> more
> > esoteric with the card, X locks the machine up.
>
> Darin, you don't say whether your machine is a desktop or laptop.  If
> it's a desktop, try putting in a spare video card if you have one.
> If
> you don't have one on hand, you can probably find one comparable to
> your
> integrated graphics for < $100.  I know this is undesirable, but it
> may
> be worth the cost to get up and running again.
>
> There's a list of general troubleshooting tips for the Nvidia drivers
> at
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/troubleshooting.html.
>
> I see a lot of reports from laptop users about black screens or
> lockups
> with Nvidia video hardware.  Many report problems, few report
> solutions.
>
> Good luck, and let us know if you solve it.
> A.
>

> --

darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"I am always willing to run some hazard of being tedious, in order to be sure that I am perspicuous" Adam Smith