Re: Ethernet Speed and Duplex

Thanks for the help guys, the card was a realtek 8139, I just ended up getting fed up and installed a new Dlink and everything works like a charm!

Joe

On Jul 11, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Marty wrote:

Joe Grace wrote:

Ok, I am going crazy because I have not been able to figure this out. I have googled this like crazy. I have a dsl modem that is connected directly to an ethernet card. I can not figure out how to manually set the duplex and speed. In the past I have used mii- tool, but when I try to use it, it will say "no mii transceivers found". In my google searches I found that there were some people who were using ethtool. When I try setting the duplex and speed with ethtool it does not display a word when I press return and then duplex and speed stay the same, even after bringing the interface down and up. For some reason with this card auto- negotation is very slow. Can someone point me in the right direction? Can I set the duplex and speed in /etc/ network/ interfaces somewhere on the "auto eth0" line?

Please identified the NIC and driver for a more complete response.

Some old drivers use lilo boot command line parameters, but I don't
know if that works for PCI NICs. Moreover if you are using modules, you
can usually set some port parameters while loading with insmod.

They're probably documented somewhere for each driver, but if you know C then just take a look at the comments in the driver source for details.
If all else fails and you are compiling your driver, you may find some
# macros to comment in or out to force various port settings. As a last
resort just hard code the port settings.

Thanks a bunch!
Joe