Re: FTP authentification issue

On Friday 15 July 2005 07:20 am, Kent West wrote:
> Benjamin Sher wrote:
> > <snippage - ftp works fine in console, but not in GUI ....>
> >
> > So, the issue is clearly a GUI one. I tested my FTP with three GUI FTP
> > clients in Linux: Kbear, gftp and IglooFTP-PRO. The results are:
> >
> > 1) gftp works fine but it takes it an inordinate length of time to
> > open the remote file system, around 45 seconds. Normally, it would
> > open it in 2 or 3 seconds.
> >
> > 2) Kbear shows an authentification error message and refuses to
> > connect. See screenshot:
> >
> > 3) IglooFTP-PRO tries to connect but fails. No remote file system. See
> > screenshot:
> >
> > Below is the output from IglooFTP as it tries to connect:
> >
> > BEGIN
> >
> > 530 User websher cannot log in
> > Unable to connect to socket
> > Unable to connect to data socket
> > Unable to bind data socket
> > Trying to switch to non-passive connection
> > PASS command failed
>
> I'd start troubleshooting by creating a new user in Debian and logging
> into X as that user (no need to log you out; just start a second X
> session - Ctrl-Alt-F2 / log in as second user / "startx -- :1 &" /
> switch between the two users/X sessions with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8).
>
> Does the same problem happen with the second user? If so, it's something
> in your usual user's "/home" directory causing the grief. If not, we'll
> know to look elsewhere.
>
> --
> Kent

Dear Kent:

First, my thanks for your kind help. Sorry for the delay. Had to do a few
things.

Your advice has yielded interesting results. I created another user in my
wife's name. Then logged in to her account and tested the FTP. Results as
follows:

1) ftp runs fine in console. Normal

2) IglooFTP runs fine. Normal

3) Kbear runs fine. Normal

4) gftp runs fine but takes about 45 seconds to list the fire system.

So, I went back to my own account and tested everything again and found to my
surprise that:

1) ftp runs fine in console as before.

2) Kbear runs fine this time. This is the FTP client that was screaming about
authentification (see yesterday's screenshot). Now it's working fine. Tested
all three of my web sites. Fine.

3) The only problem remains IglooFTP. It runs fine in my wife's account.
Perfect. But does not run in mine at all. See screenshots from yesterday:

http://www.websher.net/temp/IfglooFTP1.jpg

Any idea what's causing this and why suddenly Kbear works fine and why
IglooFTP works fine in my wife's account but not in mine?

One other thing: All ftp clients worked fine the first day or so, so certain
installations of certain files or certain configuration changes must have
affected their performance.

Thanks so much. Hope you can help me resolve this.

Benjamin