Re: FTP authentification issue

Benjamin Sher wrote:

> <snippage - ftp works fine in console, but not in GUI ....>

> So, the issue is clearly a GUI one. I tested my FTP with three GUI FTP
> clients in Linux: Kbear, gftp and IglooFTP-PRO. The results are:
>
> 1) gftp works fine but it takes it an inordinate length of time to
> open the remote file system, around 45 seconds. Normally, it would
> open it in 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> 2) Kbear shows an authentification error message and refuses to
> connect. See screenshot:
>
> 3) IglooFTP-PRO tries to connect but fails. No remote file system. See
> screenshot:
>
> Below is the output from IglooFTP as it tries to connect:
>
> BEGIN
>
> 530 User websher cannot log in
> Unable to connect to socket
> Unable to connect to data socket
> Unable to bind data socket
> Trying to switch to non-passive connection
> PASS command failed

I'd start troubleshooting by creating a new user in Debian and logging
into X as that user (no need to log you out; just start a second X
session - Ctrl-Alt-F2 / log in as second user / "startx -- :1 &" /
switch between the two users/X sessions with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8).

Does the same problem happen with the second user? If so, it's something
in your usual user's "/home" directory causing the grief. If not, we'll
know to look elsewhere.

--
Kent