Network email setup

First of all many thanks to everyone for the answers to a previous post about getmail and exim - I am now getting there. I am using sarge on a 486 thinkpad, it now successfully connects to the web and sends and receives email using exim and getmail. Mail between users is delivered locally. Now I want to be able to send messages between this one and another machine. I know how to telnet from one to the other and send email, but that's not what I want to do. I have tried but failed so far. I have the same user names set up on the two machines, but different host names. When I send from joe@fireball to joe@thinkpad, the mail is delivered to joe@fireball. I changed exim.conf on "fireball" and now exim -bp reports mail held in the queue - but it still doesn't get sent. Grateful for advice. I have been looking at exim documentation and googling for relevant things but not found anything that explains it is terms I can understand. I am using exim, not exim4. If this is more appropriately asked elsewhere, please let me know. Regards - Joe