Re: why ports 111, 113 and 772 are open?

askar k:

> As a firewall I use shorewall.

Describe your setup! Do you have a single machine with some internet
connection or are you behind a NAT box?

> In rules of shoreall there's no line accepting connection for ports
> 111, 113 and 772.
> But when I nmap myself I have:

What is 'myself'? From which machine do you nmap?

> PORT    STATE SERVICE
> 21/tcp  open  ftp
> 22/tcp  open  ssh
> 25/tcp  open  smtp
> 53/tcp  open  domain
> 80/tcp  open  http
> 111/tcp open  rpcbind
> 113/tcp open  auth
> 772/tcp open  cycleserv2
>
> Is there any place where they can opened?

Erm, if there is a program listening on these ports then they are open.
What do you expect?  I guess you just nmapped localhost or 127.0.0.1
(which is the same).

If you want to know which services are offered for which networks, just
run 'netstat -tulpen' on your machine. Then find out how to configure
the daemons to bind on a specific address. Then log in to some other
machine and scan your box from the internet (or use webpages that offer
this service for free) to see whether everything is ok.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.