xorg and virtual terminals still

Starting a new thread which may or may not be the same problem as the others had with virtual terminals. On one of three machines that I switched to xorg when I go to a virtual terminal I get a text mode screen with various colored stripes and no readable characters. I can tell that the VT's are actually working. I can log in but the screen is unreadable (because of all the unwanted ANSI escape codes?). reset doesn't help.

I am running the latest xorg packages and have done dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Any ideas?

TIA,

Paul Scott