Re: Sarge vs. Stable in /etc/apt/sources.list

On (14/07/05 18:29), Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Lorenzo Taylor wrote:

> >"sarge" and "stable" currently refer to the same Debian branch in the
> >official
> >Debian mirrors.  However, when Etch becomes stable, "stable" will refer to
> >Etch
> >rather than Sarge and "sarge" will still refer to Sarge, which will then be
> >considered "old-stable".  As for unofficial sources, they can call their
> >repositories whatever they like, so they may or may not link "stable" and
> >"sarge" to the same repository.  It's their choice, cince they are not
> >official
> >repositories.
> >
> >At this time, you can decide whether to use the term "stable" or "sarge" in
> >official Debian sources.  But if you want an automatic upgrade of all
> >official
> >packages when Etch becomes stable, use "stable".
> >

> Dear Lorenzo:
>
> A good explantion. But please see my data in the subsequent message. The
> fact is that I cannot change "stable" to "sarge" without generating
> errors in Synaptic. Why is that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Benjamin

I don't use synaptic but in aptitude when you run 'update' for the first
time with a new 'source' it will alert you to the fact that the cache
file for that repository doesn't exist already.  If you repeat 'update'
without changes to the sources.list, it doesn't complain any more.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...