Sarge vs. Stable in /etc/apt/sources.list

Dear friends:

I've noticed that some debian sources use the term "stable",
others use the term "sarge". I was advised by some members of
our list that I should change "stable" to "sarge" to assure
continuity. But when I did that, Synaptic complained of errors.

What happens when you find a source for certain applications, for
example, mplayer or whatever, that uses the term "sarge" instead
of "stable". Are you as the user allowed to change the word?

Aren't "stable" and "sarge" interchangeable in apt-get/synaptic?

This is the kind of practical question that, from my reading,
Debian does not explain in their documentation or does not
explain well.

Would appreciate your clarification?

Thank you.

Benjamin