nvidia binary driver locks up computer

I have an nforce2 system, and I'm using the onboard AGP graphics. I am
running sid, 2.6.11-1-k7, nvidia binary drivers 7174. (The nv driver
works, but it's much slower than the binary driver, I can't use my TV
tuner card because it strains my system too much without the nvidia
closed-source binary drivers and I'd like to be able to use RandR.)

I've had this problem with Kde 3.3 as well as kde 3.4.1.
I've had this problem with 2.6.10-?-k7.
I've had this problem with xfree86 and now I find that it persists into
xorg.

The machine boots fine and  I see the nvidia logo and kdm comes up. I
type my name and password and the machine locks up during the phase
where it sets up interprocess communication. The lock up requires the
application of the reset button.

If I disable the KDE start up screen, I can get logged in OK. If I run
glxgears, I see the good fps numbers due to the acceleration. If I shut
down glxgears, the machine locks up again.

In a nutshell, my problem is that whenever X tries to do something more
esoteric with the card, X locks the machine up.

I can't find anyone else with quite my problem. The only references I
find are people tweaking for performance, not with any lock-ups.
Seemingly, this works for everyone but me.

I've been alternately dealing with and ignoring this problem for
months. Once upon a time, everything worked just fine and I didn't pay
much attention to it. Sometime in the past,, my binary nvidia driver
set up quit working to the point where X would crash with a "caught
signal 11" when it started. I didn't have time to troubleshoot then, so
I just switched over to the nv driver and put the issue on my to do
list. After much fiddling, I smoothed out that problem. (The problem
revolved around conflicting advice googled from various web pages (use
the binary driver, use the debian packages, tweak this file, tweak
that, etc.) Eventually, I undid all of this damage and X now starts OK,
the machine just locks up a little later.

A while back, I had a wierd incident where my on-board NIC seemed to
disable itself. Is it possible that some other motherboard setting got
changed as well? Everything I see looks OK.

I'm now using the debian nvidia packages:
dstrait@trinity:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep nvidia
nvidia-glx                                      install
nvidia-kernel-2.6.11-1-k7                       install
nvidia-kernel-common                            install
nvidia-kernel-source                            install

The proper modules seem to load:
dstrait@trinity:~$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia_agp              7836  1
nvidia               3923516  0
agpgart                34600  2 nvidia_agp,nvidia

(It's my belief that the latest nvidia drivers require agpgart, whereas
nvidia_agp used to handle everything.)

dstrait@trinity:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       4x 2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000217:0x1f000104

dstrait@trinity:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge
Host Bridge:     nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?)
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       4x 2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000217:0x00000104

dstrait@trinity:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

(That last thing about the status being disabled is a poser. I can't
find anything that looks relevant from dmesg.)

# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)
# [snippage]

Section "Files"
	FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Geforce4mx"

	# nvidia is causing kde to flip out; it locks up the machine
	#Driver		"nvidia"
	# nv is the internal X Nvidia driver, nvidia is NVidia's driver
	Driver		"nv"

	# Adding this, per a tip on the ubuntu forum, dstrait, 2005/07/14
	Option 		"NvAGP" "3"

	# Added this, after reading a recent README file for the driver,
	# dstrait, 2005/07/14
	Option 		"RandRRotation" "True"

	Option 		"RenderAccel"	"True"

	Option 		"CursorShadow" "True"

	# It seems that I need to add this in order to get display via
	# DVI port on the flat panel. dstrait, 2004/08/21
	Option 		"ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Dell 2001FP"
	HorizSync	31-80
	VertRefresh	56-76
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Geforce4mx"
	Monitor		"Dell 2001FP"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"I am always willing to run some hazard of being tedious, in order to be sure that I am perspicuous" Adam Smith