Re: Graphical interface problem

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Carl Fink wrote:

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 06:21:06PM -0700, Alaa G wrote:
Hello,
I installed the debian OS in My Dell notebook.

Which version of Debian?

Fatal server error:
no screens found"

Commonly this means that the graphic display system, XFree86, is not set up
correctly.  Have you tried typing

	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

at a command prompt, when running as the root user?  What happened?

If nothing else, try using the VESA server.
--

My advice is to search around the web for information on installing Linux on the specific model of laptop you have. There is a ton of info out there and you'll probably find several sites that specify how to get everything working for that laptop. The "main" site is <http://www.linux-laptops.net>, but a google search would probably be just as good.

As was previously stated, you don't mention the version of Debian or the specific laptop model, both of which are VERY important for someone to really help you. Hopefully you are installing at least sarge (Debian 3.1) on this laptop with the new installer.