Re: system freezes with firefox on athlon64

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 09:42 am, David Garamond wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm having a repeatable system freezes with Firefox 1.0.4 on my new
> system (Athlon64 3000+, Abit AV8, Sarge/Sid mix). By freeze I mean
> screen, keyboard, and mouse pointer suddenly stop responding (and no
> lights at all on the keyboard LEDs, even when Caps Lock etc are
> pressed). If some audio happens to be playing (e.g. juk) it will
> continue to play until the current song is finished. I will then have to
> press the Reset button to recover.

I am curious. It seems you can reproduce the problem. Is it X that is hanging.
Can you ssh into  your box, run top and see if XFree86 is running 99.9 % of
cpu usage? just an idea - also what is your video card on the machine?

If so, try to kill -9  the XFree86 process and then you can do remote reboot.
let me know what you find.
mitchell