system freezes with firefox on athlon64

Dear all,

I'm having a repeatable system freezes with Firefox 1.0.4 on my new
system (Athlon64 3000+, Abit AV8, Sarge/Sid mix). By freeze I mean
screen, keyboard, and mouse pointer suddenly stop responding (and no
lights at all on the keyboard LEDs, even when Caps Lock etc are
pressed). If some audio happens to be playing (e.g. juk) it will
continue to play until the current song is finished. I will then have to
press the Reset button to recover.

This happens only if I visit the administration panel of a certain
internal website, which uses PHPBB2 (a popular PHP-based forum web app).
Sometimes I can open several pages before the system freezes, but
sometimes it freezes right after I press Enter in the address bar.

And it happens *every* time.

Other websites do not cause crashes. The abovementioned website doesn't
cause crashes when opened using other browsers like Opera.

At first I thought this is caused by some kernel modules like
via82cxxx_audio or Bestcrypt. But removing them still causes crashes.

I've tried several kernels, from
2.4.27-2-{686,686-smp,k7,k7-smp,amd64-k8,amd64-k8-smp}, 2.6.8 kernels,
and 2.6.11 kernels.

Any pointer on how to pinpoint the cause of the problem? My system seems
to be stable otherwise (except when using 2.6, sometimes kernel panic
happens, but it is really stable otherwise when using 2.4).
/var/log/messages doesn't say anything related to the crashes. Btw, my
libc6 version is 2.3.2.ds1-22.

Regards,
dave