Re: Upgrade going to remove ALOT of packages. Why?

Please don't CC me on replies.

Rodney D. Myers:
> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> > Rodney D. Myers:
> > >
> > > I'm running Debian Sarge.
> >
> > Are you sure?
>
> deb http://mail.linuxvar.it/~gianluca/athlon-xp/ testing main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib
> deb http://www.maretmanu.org/debian sarge main

So you obviously have non-sarge lines.

> > > xserver-xorg		install
> >
> > X.org is not part of the official sarge release which means you have
> > either unofficial backports or Debian testing/unstable in your
> > /etc/apt/sources.list (and didn't tell apt to ignore it). Please show
> > us the output of 'apt-cache policy xserver-xorg'.
>
> see above

No. 'apt-cache policy' tells you not only which package versions are
available but also their source and which one apt prefers over the
others. You can have unstable lines in your sources.list but still have
apt ignore them until you force it to use them (e.g. via '-t unstable').

J.
--
Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.
[Agree]   [Disagree]