Help/Question: Can't get xlibs package to install all of it's files

I'm trying to install the xlibs package, but not all of its contents get installed.
(debian_version 3.1 stable)

I'm trying to get /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/altwin (an other files) to install
from the xlibs package.  If I:

# dpkg --contents xlibs_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_all.deb

I get of list of the contents and it shows the files I am interested in.
But if I:

# dpkg --install xlibs_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_all.deb

the files don't get installed.   I've extracted the files and the controls
from this package to check if there is a preinst script or something.  But
there are none. The only control files are: 'conffiles', 'list', and
'md5sums'.

After unpacking and poking around, I noticed a file called a
[directory].dir, and it is formatted like:

# grep altwin [unpacked_dir]/etc/X11/xkb/symbols.dir
--p----- -m------ altwin(meta_alt)
--p----- -m------ altwin(meta_win)
--p----- -m------ altwin(left_meta_win)
--p----- -m------ altwin(super_win)
--p----- -m------ altwin(hyper_win)
--p----- -m------ altwin(menu)

Are the strings inside of the parenthesis a configuration flag of some sort?
If so where/how do I set these flags?

-Thanks
Lance 'tired of poking and decided to ask a question' Rushing

P.S.   I'm going through all of this to try to get my stupid windows key to
work.  And I'm 'assuming' that the xkb symbols are what I'm missing.