Re: SBC DSL Service

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:04:45 -0500 Debian User Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc@ruralcomm.com> wrote:
>
> > I realize that I need to get drivers for my 3Com NIC but don't
> > understand clearly if I need drivers for the modem of if its
> > totally hardware drivern and needs no drivers.

The DSL adapter is stricly a network device like a hub and only speaks
to your NIC, so it does not require a driver. The NIC driver is your
concern, but will probably be in your kernel. At least this is my take
on it.

> To have the module loaded at boot time, simply add it to
> /etc/modules.

Debian Sarge has no /etc/modules, and I put loadable modules into
/etc/modutils.

> " Setting up the NIC after the module is loaded will probably be as
> simple as putting the following two lines in
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

Yes, and if you have a hardware firewall or a fixed IP address,
replace the word "dhcp" here with "static". Following these two lines
are your IP addresses. For example, in my case:

	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255

Take everything I say with a grain of salt: I'm a learner as well.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM