Re: SBC DSL Service

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:04:45 -0500
Debian User Leonard Chatagnier <lenc@ruralcomm.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for your quick response to my question.  I'll have
> to  get back with SBC and see if I can
> talk with a tier 2 or 3 tech person and get going with DSL  I didn't
> reply to any specific posting as I'm not
> subscribed and forgot to request copying my email address.
> I've never used a NIC or been envolved in networking except via a
> winmodem connection to the internet.
> I understand you might get a DSL modem that connect to either a USB
> PORT, a NIC or a router connected
> to the NIC(from reading the man DSL).  I realize that I need to get
> drivers for my 3Com NIC but don't understand
> clearly if I need drivers for the modem of if its totally hardware
> drivern and needs no drivers.  I guess I could get
> SBC to answer this at tier 2 but would prefer the Debian answer.  Any
> suggestions on references to become familar
> using a NIC would help also.  Thanks for all your insight.

Your 3com NIC probably uses the 3c59x module, if you're using a newer
2.4 or recent 2.6 kernel. To do this you would simply run "modprobe
3c59x" as root. To have the module loaded at boot time, simply add it to
/etc/modules. Setting up the NIC after the module is loaded will
probably be as simple as putting the following two lines in
/etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

This will have it get an ip address from the modem automatically via
dhcp. I incorrectly mentioned pppoeconfig earlier, but that was after I
accessed the modem via it's web interface and turned off pppoe on the
modem. Then I could get the internet ip directly at my firewall and had
more control.

And of course, if you have problems, come back here and give us some
more information. Such as the exact model of your 3com card and what
'lspci' says about it. Describe the exact problem and what kind of modem
you have, etc. (I know you don't have the modem yet. I'm assuming you
won't have any problems until the modem gets there. :-)

HTH,
Jacob