Re: remote connection impossible

roberto wrote:
> Hi, i am trying to use a remote connection to a pc (k 2.2) from
> my own (k 2.6.8, sarge) but when i try to connect adding also X
> forwarding i receive the following if i try to start an
> application with X windows, like kwrite:
>
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> kwrite: Fatal IO error: client killed

Instead of trying to throw the display directly use 'ssh' to connect.

  ssh -X othermachine

> > * make sure your xauth is correct
>
> well, i do not even have the file /home/.Xautorithy, if you refer to
> it... if else, could you explain me what are you referring to?

The 'xauth' command manages $HOME/.Xauthority.  It is part of the
xbase-clients package and needs to be installed on both machines.

> > * make sure your X is listening for connections.

This means that your X11 server has by default turned off listening to
the network with the '-nolisten tcp' option as a security measure.  So
unless you decide you don't need security and change that setting your
X server will not even be listening to the network.

> if you mean something like enable any host, well i gave the commmand
> "xhost +" but the problem is still there

Using xhost is insecure and obsolete.  You should avoid it.  Use the
ssh tunnelling of X connections instead.

Bob