Software RAID with Debian Installer

I am currently trying to set up software RAID while installing Sarge. I
have two hard drives, both with one partition "physical volume for RAID",
as well as a RAID 1 device that uses both. Everything goes fine until I
try to write the partition table on the RAID device. I get the following
errors:

[?] Partition disks
Warning!
The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md/0 (Invalid
argument). This means Linux won't know anything nothing about the
modifications you made until you reboot.  You should reboot your computer
before doing anything with /dev/md/0.

If I choose <Continue> I see the following error on tty3:

/sbin/tune2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/md/0p1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
mke2fs 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
Could not stat /dev/md/0p1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

Rebooting obviously does no good, as the RAID device is then gone.

Gritty details:

2 80 GB IDE drives
each drive has 1 partition:
	primary
	physical volume for RAID
	bootable flag: on
	size: 80.0 GB
1 RAID1 device:
	RAID1
	2 active devices
	0 spare devices
	both drives above are selected as the active devices

Update - things seem to be hit or miss. I was able to create a single ext3
partition on the RAID device, but when I went back and tried to configure
a "multi-user workstation", I got the same errors.

Is this a known issue? I haven't been able to find anything...

Luke