SSH Slams

I'm receiving a few hundred failed ssh login attempts per day. I'm not worried about it, since they appear automated and ssh is locked down appropriately. I'd like to be able to IP ban these connections after a set number of failed login attempts. I'd rather not put ssh on a nonstandard port since I'd need to specify it on the cli every time I ssh (right?).
Does anything have any insight into how I might go about achieving this?