Trouble with ACPI on sarge

Hello all,

I'm having trouble getting acpi to work on my Sarge box. (The machine
was upgraded from Woody, it's now running kernel 2.6.8-2-686.)

apt-get install acpid gives a debconf warning box:

Kernel ACPI support                                                      │
  │                                                                          │
  │ Your current kernel does not have ACPI support enabled. In order to be   │
  │ able to use the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface support you   │
  │ need to recompile your kernel with ACPI support enabled.

That's odd--I shouldn't have to recompile a Debian stock kernel just
to use ACPI, should I?

So I try to modprobe acpi

server1:/# modprobe acpi
WARNING: Error inserting processor
(/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko): No such
device
FATAL: Error inserting acpi
(/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg shows:

acpi: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_unregister_performance
acpi: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_register_performance

At this point, I'm kind of stuck. Anyone have any ideas? I really
don't want to compile the kernel myself to do this.

This is an old Dell Optiplex PIII 667Mhz machine that I use as a home
media server. Nothing terribly unusual about it.

The reason I'd like to install acpi is that I'd like to alias the
power switch to shutdown -h now (i.e., a clean shutdown, instead of
just killing the power, which it does now). APM appears to run fine on
this machine, so if anyone has an idea how to do this with APM, so I
don't have to bother with ACPI, that'd be nice, too.

Thanks!

charles.