Re: samba setup tips?

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 15:12 -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> I'm having a few problems setting up samba on my server and I was hoping that
> the list would be able to shed some light on my issue for me and point me in
> the right direction.
>
> I've installed all the required pieces of samba and started the daemons and
> set each user's samba password by using the command "smbpasswd -a username".
> I can see the samba share from every other pc on my network but am unable to
> log into it from either linux or windows.  What am I missing?

When you say that you can't log on, do you mean that your
username/password is rejected, or that you just dont see any shared
folders? What error messages are you getting on the clients when they
attempt to "log on"?

What version of windows are you refering to? Win XP, 98?

> Here's my samba.conf file:
>

> ####### Authentication #######
>
> # "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
> # in this server for every user accessing the server. See
> # /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/ServerType.html in the samba-doc
> # package for details.
>    security = user
>
> # You may wish to use password encryption.  See the section on
> # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
>    encrypt passwords = true
>
> # If you are using encrypted passwords, Samba will need to know what
> # password database type you are using.
>    passdb backend = tdbsam guest
>
>    obey pam restrictions = yes

This option conflicts with the "encrypt passwords = true" that you have
set above. You may as well comment this out, since pam is ignored when
passwords are encrypted (see man smb.conf).

> Oddly enough, the directory /shared is what I'm trying to share via samba.

Your samba config does not have this directory shared.

> I'm new to this, I've only used linux as a desktop before, but since my old
> NT4 server died I thought I'd give it a try and see what it's got to offer
> there as well.  I'm fairly familiar with configuration for desktop stuff but
> as all this server stuff is new to me I'm lost.  Thanks in advance.

Was your NT server acting as a PDC? In other words, are you hoping to
have samba work as a domain controller or just a win 95/98 type file
server?

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg