Re: Second time on hostname

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:30:24 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm having some difficulties (From: line missing in header of outgoing
> newsgroup mesaages) and worry their cause might be due to what I put
> into /etc/hostname when I installed.

Shouldn't you be looking at your news reader configuration?

> I had done some reading, got inconsistent answers, and ended by
> using as hostname my FQDN, teufel.hartford-hwp.com when I
> installed.

In Debian the standard is to use a simple name which in your case
would be 'teufel'.

> Since then I've seen suggestions to use only the local host
> name (teufel). Is "machine name" synonymous with "local host" name?

The system has a name maintained in the kernel and initialised at
boot from /etc/hostname.  This is what you see when you execute the
hostname command.

> A simple question for which I desperately need an answer: Should I
> have used only the local hostname?

It is possible to use either one.

> Secondary questions: does my use of FQND spell trouble?

Not necessarily.

> If so, some
> sources say never try to change your hostname, but do a reinstall
> instead;

I don't see why that would be necessary.

> others say, grep the /etc directory and change the name
> whereever it appears.

Strictly speaking the system hostname should only appear in /etc/hostname.
However, some programs unfortunately expect to be able to resolve this
name as if it were a domain name.  Thus, the Debian installer puts the
hostname in /etc/hosts too.  If you change the system hostname then you
should also change the relevant line in /etc/hosts.

/etc/mailname is completely different: the MTA looks in that file to find
out what domain name it should use as the origin of mail.  See mailname(5).

> Which is right? Should /etc/mailname be brownh#hartford-hwp.com?

No, it should be a domain name such as 'teufel.hartford-hwp.com'.

Set up /etc/hosts like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1 teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

Put 'teufel' in /etc/hostname and reboot.

--
Thomas Hood