Re: Creating a task launcher.....

On Friday July 8 2005 7:38 am, Stephen R Laniel wrote:

> In some ways automobile and road designers have a nice
> constraint: they *can't* assume that their drivers are
>
> a) literate,

Actually, road engineers intrinsically rely on literacy.  You cannot
get a driver's license in Oregon unless you can read enough English
to understand highway signs.  There isn't a pictograph for things
like, "FREEWAY TRAFFIC STOPPED AHEAD, DRAWBRIDGE OPEN" or "DO NOT
PASS SNOWPLOWS ON [LEFT|RIGHT]".

Then there's times where a pictograph is not clear, but words are.  A
good example would be a sign commonly found in the desert southwest.
They used to say, "CAUTION: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CROSSING FREEWAY"  Now
instead of words, they have a rather human-racially unflattering
pictograph of a man and woman dragging a child.  The former very
clearly indicates that there may be desperate people creating a
dangerous situation on the road.  I had no idea what the pictograph
meant for nearly two years after they were introduced until someone
from Arizona Highway Patrol told me that the signs meant "illegal
immigrant crossing" and was chosen to replace words to be politically
correct.  Heck, some places I saw the signs I hadn't the foggiest
idea that I was that close to the border (open desert looks almost
the same to me, I can tell the desert pacific northwest[1] from the
desert pacific southwest without a map, but that's about it).

Only the most basic ideas can be described in a silhouette pictograph.

> If they assume any of these things, people die. It would be
> nice if usability engineers for computer software had to
> work under similar constraints.

And it would be nice if I could retire tomorrow while I'm still in my
20s and young enough to get the absolute maximum humanly possible out
of it, too.  But the days of assuming there's anything less than
near-ubiquitous literacy in modern society are ancient history.

[1] Common misconception:  Only a third of the northwest has trees.
The rest is open, mostly uninhabitable high desert.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca