Re: 2.6.11 kernel in sarge?

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:12:24 +0200
Matthijs <vanaalten@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the APT-HowTo, I found a section on 'keeping a mixed system':
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version
>
> Would that be a good & nice solution instead of compiling the kernel
> yourself?

I tried to keep a mixed system when I first started using Debian, but ran
into some ugly incompatibilities. One GCC upgrade in unstable can
ruin your whole day if your running software from stable. I eventually
settled on using unstable for my desktop and stable with back-ports and
custom kernels where necessary for servers and client machines. I would not
recommend a mixed system.

It is really very easy to make kernel packages with the Debian tools. You
should give it a try.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com