Re: Exim question

On (08/07/05 18:39), jb701@uku.co.uk wrote:
> Trying to set up email on my machine, I can receive mail from my dial-up
> ISP, but I am having trouble setting up exim.

Are you running exim or exim4?

> I've used eximconfig, but not sure how some of the questions need to be
> answered.
> Where do I tell it the name of the ISPs smtp server and other connection
> details?

exim4 has a rather different configuration setup and I forget how exim
works exactly but some things are common to both.

When you say you're using eximconfig, I presume you're doing:
dpkg-reconfigure eximconfig or dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

You probably need the following answers:
mail sent by smarthost; received via smtp or fetchmail
System mail name = what appears after @ in your email address
Machine handling outgoing mail for this host (smarthost): your ISP's
	smtp server

Other than that you can probably accept the defaults

> How do I run exim when I dial-up?
>
> At the moment I have sent an email on the machine, but it's listed as
> "frozen" when I type exim -bp.

Exim is running because there is mail in the queue but the 'smarthost'
has yet to be configured.

Regards

Clive

--