$PATH problem

I have following .bash_profile.
lvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$ cat .bash_profile
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/login.defs
umask 022

# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
fi

# the rest of this file is commented out.

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi
export PATH

# do the same with MANPATH
#if [ -d ~/man ]; then
#    MANPATH=~/man${MANPATH:-:}
#    export MANPATH
#fi
lvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$

But stille I don't get ~/bin in my path. Any help is appreciated. I am
running sarge with yesting and unstable in  sources.list for
upgrading.
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/