Re: Need help! I upgraded to stable - bad move? :-(

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 13.02, Arias Hung wrote:
> Bad move.  You mean you 'downgraded' to stable since stable uses much older
> packages than unstable.
>
> Use a rescue cd ... take your pick ... knoppix, kanotix, sysresccd, any of
> the gentoo live cd's.  Boot that cd, then mount the partition with the
> files you want to save.  Grab those.  Then, if you made a backup of your
> older filesystem before you upgraded then you can mount that and replace
> the 'upgraded' filesystem.  You did make backups didn't you?  If not, then
> after grabbing the files you didn't want to lose ... start for scratch ...
> and don't attempt something so foolish again.
>
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005, Björn Johansson delivered in simple text monotone:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I had a unstable Debian 3.1 on my Powerbook "Lombard G3" then I upgraded
> > to 3.1 stable
> > and now I only get a white screen at startup (after the boot questions of
> > course).
> >
> > This is is the text I get:
> >
> > ... ok
> > opening display /pci@800000000/ATY,LTProParent@11/ATY,264LTProB_
> >
> > What should I do? This doesn't feel good at all. :-(
> > Should I reformat the harddrive and begin from scratch??
> > I REALLY don't want to this, since I will lose some files, but if I
> > haveto I will do it. The system is now in an unusable state, is there no
> > rescue boot image where I can burn down somewhere and use?
> >

> > Kind regards
> > Bj� Sweden

I can use an old kernel which was installed.
So everything is pretty good now! :-)

I can't use the newest kernel and I probably should reinstall the whole system
anyway to get rid of some bugs, but now it works again, so I have the option
of making a total backup of the whole system before I will attempt a full
reinstall of the system.

Thanks for the help btw. :-)

Kind regards  Björn