Re: sarge and sound

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 23:29 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I'm using the built-in sound on a km4m-v msi motherboard. I get sound
> from xine, xmms, and mp3blaster but nothing from cdplayer and when I
> enable the gnome sound server startup all I get is a bunch of static.
>
> What have I overlooked?

xine, xmms, and mp3blaster are probably using ALSA (the linux sound
subsystem) directly, while cdplayer is using ESD (the gnome sound
interface).

Do other CD audio players work? If not, it may be that the problem is
limited to your CD audio (CD audio cable plugged in?). If say, totem, or
rythmbox don't produce any sound then you can be sure that the problem
is gnome-wide, meaning that there is a good chance it has to do with
ESD. Without more details, that's about all the direction I can give
you.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg