Re: Apt-get and aptitude man pages (was "aptitude synaptic gnome to be removed?")

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 02:14:19PM -0400, R. Clayton wrote:
>   'apt-get upgrade' is restricted (and therefore safer) in that:
>
>      under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed,
>
> Neither the apt-get nor the aptitude man page make that distinction (which is
> not to say it's wrong, just that you can't learn it by RingTFM).

Excuse me?  That's a direct cut-and-paste from the apt-get man page.  The
complete text:

       upgrade
              upgrade  is  used to install the newest versions of all packages
              currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
              /etc/apt/sources.list.  Packages  currently  installed  with new
              versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no  circum-
              stances  are  currently  installed packages removed, or packages
              not already installed retrieved and installed. New  versions  of
              currently  installed  packages  that  cannot be upgraded without
              changing the install status of another package will be  left  at
              their current version. An update must be performed first so that
              apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

What exactly are YOU reading?

In simple English... 'upgrade' is not allowed to change the installation
state of a package, 'dist-upgrade' is.

--
 Marc Wilson |     BOFH excuse #292: We ran out of dial tone and we're
 msw@cox.net |     and waiting for the phone company to deliver another