Re: iptables related query

Yuriy Kuznetsov wrote:
I'm new to iptables therefor I need your help with some basic operation. I have installed Debian with 2.6 kernel and now trying to set some
iptables rules. From what I have found in some nice examples in google
I understood that I need to start iptables by running
/etc/init.d/iptables. But I can not see   'iptables' in
/etc/init.d. Although I have installed 'iptables' and 'iptables-dev' I
still can not find /etc/init.d/iptables on the system. There is
/sbin/iptables but I think it's something different. Could you advice
me on what I'm missing
here, please? Thanks a lot.

The /etc/init.d/iptables startup script from debian, has been removed.
Info about that should be somewhere in: /usr/share/doc/iptables.
You either need to write your own startup / fw script, or use some tools like i.e. firehole or shorewall, etc... to setup your iptables firewalling.

Regards

Mart