read only root and udev

Hi there,

I have a 2.6.12 debian sarge system running from compactflash which
I am trying to convert to read-only root.

Following the information at these sites:

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/readonly-root-README.txt
http://roland.entierement.nu/index.php/archives/2005/04/04/read-only-debian-on-soekris-howto/

I have achieved most of what I want to do, but putting the small
number of files and directories that must be writable onto a tmpfs
at /dev/shm and symlinking to them.

I then tried to tackle the remaining minor problem of the system not
being able to change permissions of various devices when I log in.
The first URL above suggests udev.

So I apt-get install udev and reboot.

Things did not go smoothly; it seems my /dev/shm is mounted by
/etc/rcS.d/S02mountvirtfs but then sometime later it is umounted
again by something (I can't work out what), leaving me with no
writable filesystems and no daemons can start.

Anyone more experienced with udev have any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,
Andy