Re: 3d accel and agpgart

From: "Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@earthlink.net>
To: "Debian User List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 4:39 AM
Subject: 3d accel and agpgart

Greetings:

I'm tryiing to get 3d acceleration working on my IBM R40 laptop running Sarge
(3.1). I'm attempting to follow the instructions at
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting.

It says to do "dmesg | grep drm" and if it displays nothing, then "compile
agpgart into your kernel or load it as a module." I can load agpgart with
"insmod agpgart" so I know that the module exists.

I tried adding Load: "agpgart" to /etc/X11/XF86config-4, but then when I do a
dmesg | grep agpgart I get:

[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0
[drm: radeon unlock] *ERROR* Process 1847 using kernel context 0

XFree86.0.log says:

(II) LoadModule: "agpgart"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module agpgart
(II) UnloadModule: "agpgart"
(EE) Failed to load module "agpgart" (module does not exist, 0)

But if I do a insmod agpgart, it says that it already exists.

A little later in the instructions, it says that I need to load the agpgart
module before the radeon module. XFree86's log indicates that indeed the
radeon module loads later.

The instructions don't seem to address the above problems. Any ideas?

Any input is appreciated, My knowledge and experience is limited.

- Elmer E. Dow

This looks similar to the problem I had recently with X not finding my Nvidia module. Try adding the agpgart module to /etc/modules so it is loaded on boot and will be available when X tries to load it.

I'm a relative newbie also so I may be barking up the wrong tree but it might be worth a shot.

Wackojacko