Re: xmms doesn't play streams, complains couldn't connect to host

Apparently, _Bill Marcum_, on 30/06/05 18:13,typed:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 04:35:57PM -0400, H. S. wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to make xmms play streams from websites and cannot get mp3
>>streams to work. From this page:
>>http://dir.xiph.org/index.php
>>
>>I have tried Ogg streams on xmms and they work. The MP3 ones do not.
>>While trying to play an MP3 stream (.m3u file?), xmms reports "Couldn't
>>connect to host: <URL>:<port>".
>>
>>Any idea how to fix it?
>>

> Could it be a firewall problem?

I considered it. However, another computer in my internal home network,
running Debian Sid, plays streams through xmms perfectly, this shows my
router (running Debian testing) is okay as far as the
router/masquarading firewall rules are concerned. I then thought about
the iptables rules I have on my desktop. I 'stopped' iptables on my
desktop so that all policies were ACCEPT(i.e. nothing being blocked by
my computer's firewall) and still xmms showed the same problem. So it
looks like firewall is not the issue here.

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.