Re: LILO bug?

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Marty wrote:

Whenever I try to install lilo to an IDE drive other than the one
one which I booted, and the later drive is SCSI, I get the following
warning message from LILO:

Warning: /dev/hda is not on the first disk

if yoou can boot from /dev/hda ... lilo is working
	- pull out the scsi disk to make sure you are booting off /dev/hda

This requires the user to to be physically present, power down, open the
case and modify the system hardware.  It's unnecessary and may not be possible.

	vi /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo after the changes
		boot = /dev/hda

if you can boot off /dev/sda ... lilo is working
	- pull out /dev/hda to make sure you are booting off /dev/sda

	vi /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo after the changes
		boot = /dev/sda

- it is NOT a bug ( the warning is just that .. a silly warning, just in
  case you didnt meant to do that )

The "warning" does not describe nor warn about the subsequent actions of LILO
which render the system unbootable.

Morever the warning describes what I want to do -- put LILO on a disk
that's not the first disk.  I don't think the warning is wrong or silly,
but accurate and  helpful.

It does not imply that LILO will override the lilo.conf settings and
render the system unbootable.  That still seems like a bug to me.