Re: two basic "new to Debian" questions: network config & RMS

Depends what kind of networking you want to do. If you are just
connecting to a LAN with a DHCP server running, then just run
"/etc/init.d/networking start" as root and see if it works. If you
want a static IP address and name servers, the easiest way is probably
to use the Gnome network tools - available in the Gnome menu under
"system tools". Or if you prefer the command line, edit
/etc/network/interfaces - it's fairly simple, see "man interfaces".

Or maybe you want something more complex, like to run a server, etc. etc...

As for RMS - no idea. (And personally, no interest either :-))

David