Re: Now you see it, now you don't--the tale of the disappearing mouse...

Nicholas Syrotiuk wrote:

> I first began using Linux in January 2005 by installing Debian
> "sarge."  I was a very happy user until I upgraded my system on 4
> June, just a couple of days before 3.1 was released.
>
> Since then I have had one major problem: I can't *see* the mouse at
> all when I use "rdesktop."  When I move the mouse on *my* desktop, it
> disappears when it touches the edge of the "rdesktop" window and then
> magically re-appears when it leaves the window on the opposite side.
> I have seen the same mouse behaviour in exactly one other package on
> my system: gwenview.  Otherwise, the mouse seems to work correctly.
>
> I don't know what is causing problem.  In an extreme attempt to solve
> the problem, I backed up all of my data and re-installed Debian 3.1r0
> from a new CD image.  Sadly, the problem remains.

I don't know the solution, but if it were me, I'd experiment by changing
the video driver, and/or depth, and/or resolution, to see if those had
any affect.

I also have some vague memory of a possible option you can put in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that might affect how the mouse displays, but it's
just a vague memory, and a quick look at "man XF86Config-4" didn't help
refresh my memory, so don't spend too much time on this idea; my mind
might be making things up.

--
Kent